15 March 2009

I Think I Can

This team just wouldn't be denied. I love it. The Little Bulldogs That Could.

I stated on USCHO that attending the Final Five without tUMD was like celebrating Christmas with someone else's family. It's fun, but just not the same.

I don't know if you all aware of this, but UMD was never losing in this game, and once they scored, they never allowed CC to tie it up. You would not know that UMD played well. According to the media in Colorado Springs, a team of hobos and vagrants could have shown up and beat CC. But, enough about Bemidji State. Patesy was left back in Duluth to write his recap at the mercy of B2 and the evil Floating Tiger Head. Thankfully, FTH was MUCH less prominent than he was last year, and he didn't really block the action.

Power play dominance continued, as UMD struck early after Stalock started the play up the ice (gaining his FIRST ASSIST ALL YEAR, and getting him Off Notice for the first time. Seriously, Al. If you are going to scare the crap out of me by leaving the net, I expect more points. And also, I expect goals!) and Travis Oleksuk got the puck to MY SWEET JACKY who FINALLY GOT A GOAL. This is it, people. The floodgates have opened. I predict Jacky will set a WCHA Final Five record in goals scored this weekend. Captain Kangaroo and Peppermint Patty (who will come into the game once Kangy commits seppukku on his hockey stick) will have whiplash from watching Jacky put pucks in the net. I'm very excited about Mr. Oleksuk, too. Brucie said last night that the coaching staff was very smart in holding him out of so many games, as he has really infused some energy into our lineup just when we need it. Those 3 guys were the stars of the game according to College Hockey Stats.

The second goal occurred on the power play as well, with senior Nick Kemp putting one in thanks to the MSJ-T.O. Express. The CC players did not like that, and instead tried to kill him. Some giant jerk smashed Nick's face into the glass and no penalty ensued. Nicky ended up missing the 2nd period and returned in the 3rd only to have some CC butthead go right after him again.

CC played ultra-sketchy in this game, I should point out. Now, tUMD are no angels (and I would not expect it! This is hockey, not ballet! Although ballerinas are very cutthroat.) but CC was being ridiculous. They were elbowing like crazy brides at a wedding sample sale, but they also went down faster than a mobster wearing cement shoes in the East River. How can they be tough sissies? It does not compute. For example, after Nicky got elbowed, My Sweet Jacky got called for holding. It was a very horsecrap call, although not as horsecrap as the one he took in the second for interference. I did not know a puck carrier could be called for interference. I think I missed that page. I suppose the referees are not used to seeing players, um, trying. I just looked at the stats and we came out only one penalty ahead. I was surprised to see that, but it is so.

The whole time it was 2-1, I was stressing big time. Gergzilla must have sensed that, because he jumped in on the Fuzzy-Sharpie line while Little Nicky was being poked and prodded to make sure he was good to go, he decided he'd better make the most of it and made Richie Rich look like an idiot. Obi-wan and Sharpie had assists. And like that it was 3-1 and it relieved a little of my stress.

I am so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so excited you guys are in the Final Five. Thank you for playing 120 minutes of BULLDOG HOCKEY this weekend and showing everyone what I already knew: you guys are awesome! SEE YOU THURSDAY!!! (Well, I will see you. If you see me it's probably a bad thing as it most likely means I am humiliating myself in public. Again.)

Screw Kangas. Stalock for Defensive Player of the Week! And get well soon Nicky, Jordy, Trent Palm, and anyone else who is playing through an injury!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not entirely sure you're excited enough...

I can't WAIT for Thursday!!