15 May 2006

The Social Contract

According to the scholarly John Locke, all of us ought to exist in what he called "the state of nature," where everyone is happy, reasonable, and tolerant. Everyone should be equal and independent, with a right to life, health, liberty, and possessions. That sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it?
However, this is the real world. We don't live in an utopic society. There are people who are mean, malicious, and like to check from behind into the boards. Locke's solution was to enter into a social contract, to protect people from those meanies.

So, what's the whole point of this philosophizing non sequitur? It's this site. It's... it's... well, it's anarchy. And not everyone here is basking in the glow of the state of nature, that's for darn sure. So, it's time I went up on the mountain and laid down some commandments. Ten, to be exact.

I. This is a fun site. Don't harsh on the buzz.

II. Not everything on this site is "true." Not every opinion I have is "informed." But that's just semantics.

III. If I want to be ridiculously biased in favor my team, if I want to wear maroon and gold colored glasses, if I want to tirelessly defend Mike Curry no matter what he does, I will.

IV. Though a blog is a glacier on the pinnacle of self-absorption, there won't be much personal content here, at least in relation to my day-to-day life. No posts solely about my cat, my plans to conquer the planet, or my touch of the rheumatis'. If I do mention anything off-topic, it'll be as an aside in a hockey-related post.

V. I will never insult another blogger on this site. If I've got something mean to say, I'll come to your house and say it with a flaming bag of cat poo. Therefore, comrades, if you're offended by something I've said, I didn't mean it. I promise!

VI. I will not, however, link to anyone whose site is overly political, vulgar, or insulting to the team or to me personally. My grampa reads this site, and he told me he doesn't want to see any of that crap. You'd do well to listen.

VII. I won't delete any comments, unless they're solely capitalistic in nature. Don't get me wrong, I'm a red-blooded, money-hungry capitalist, just like any good American, but don't post your mortgage quotes here, bucko. [Edit 2/28/11: Don't bother commenting if you are mean-spirited, overly vulgar or harassing. Remember Commandment #1.]

VIII. There will be no RWD schwag pimped on Cafepress or anywhere else. First of all, what would I even create? "Bark and Bite" thongs? "No Lazy Stick Penalties" muumuus? (Hmm... maybe I should re-think this plan!) Secondly, what sort of a sick person would even want to buy that kind of crap?

IX. I will use any nominative pronoun I darn please on this site. Be it I, he, they, the editorial we, it, you, the royal We, one, or whatever, you will like it.

X. You are more than welcome to use anything I publish on this site for your own evil devices, the more frequently, the better. However, you will, I repeat WILL give me credit. That's an order, soldiers!

Capice?

Now, who wants to start chiseling this into stone?

5 comments:

LetsGoMavs said...

You'll be sad to see not much about the MAVS on my website. I'm using it more for personal updates for friends and there will be more MAVS hockey stuff once the season is going. It's a slow time for hockey now, so I don't even know what I would write...unless of course Mav players are on my summer volleyball league again. I must admit, most of them are nice to look at, and fun to socialize with...especially hottie RJ. We're all hoping he's back this year for a little summer fun. Who knows though, because I think all of the guys are keeping a low key with the whole "sex scandal" thing going on....

DC said...

That's ok, during the off-season, things get slow. Even here, at The Greatest Blog On Earth, content is a little thin.

csmith10du said...

At Hockey in Colorado, I have planned several highly entertaining (at least I think they are entertaining) posts to fill the summer months. Stay tuned!!

Anonymous said...

You have a link to Dirty's blog. You are in violation of Section VI of your own rules.

Anonymous said...

although is it difficult to concentrate on one's typing when the screen is bing "swiped" by a swinging kitty tail, i felt the need to let you know that i appreciate the by-laws & commandments...and you can tell folks that your MOM reads your site too.....especially since she is a proud bulldog fan from the watson/lemke/bah/pav/sertich era!!!
p.s.
it's scary, but the "word" i had to type to verify my comment is...unlicus??? ewww!
love you, sweetpea (aka: rwd)
mom