19 October 2008

Tougher in Alaska

Well, folks, I know that we've got our first WCHA series coming up next weekend. It's at UAA, where we often struggle. This is going to be a real test.

Now, I know I've said that this year is going to be different in so many ways. And I got advanced copy of some video that shows me just how serious our guys are about making this the best season we've had in years. They've been training all summer to get prepped for this series so we can start out 2-0 in the WCHA.

No one was more serious than tUMD's resident badass, Drew Akins.














This will give you an idea of some of the training measures Drew undertook in order to be prepared for what will be his breakout season.













Here, Drew is setting out to do what we call the Duluth Rodeo, which involves lassoing ships anchored off-shore and hauling them into port.




















Here he is preparing to gnaw through a telephone pole. This way if someone knocks off his helmet his teeth will be tough enough to chew through bone. I wish he'd wear more safety gear, though.














This is Drew's haul from the Duluth Rodeo. These boats were full of salmon and he ate it all.














After singlehandedly building and erecting this oil derrick, Drew has tapped an oil deposit rich enough to fuel the entire country until we can figure out how to wean ourselves off of petroleum products. He's about to do some pullups, or maybe bend some of the girders with his bare hands. I won't say which.















Not everything about this training exercise has been grunt work. Drew also honed his concentration and finishing skills by making this nice boat.













Here he is with Jordan Fulton testing out his new creation in the icy waters off the Alaskan coast.













Some of his teammates joined him on his quest to prove himself more efficient than a steam-powered drill. Drew Akins is a steel-drivin' man. I should mention that being on television adds 10 pounds, but in their case it was added exclusively to their heads. First person to guess correctly all 6 of the guys in the background gets a free beer of their choice at the Curling Club during the Wisconsin series in November.

Based on all the hard work Drew's been putting in, plus his new role on the power play and his general badass characteristics, I foresee great things this coming weekend. 4 points, boys!

13 comments:

Bruce Ciskie said...

From left:

Jordan Fulton, Nick Kemp, Andrew Carroll, Matt Greer, MacGregor Sharp, and Michael Gergen.

Now you owe me a beer. Wunderbar!

Donald Dunlop said...

Are those pictures altered or something?

Fire Helmet Guy #26 said...

Disturbing! lol

Anonymous said...

I saw one of these on ebay once, you guyz are lucky to have one.

Anonymous said...

Will FHG be making the trip to Alaska to watch his club play?

Anonymous said...

TFF - Good Job

Anonymous said...

Nice work with photoshop ;)

DC said...

What Photoshop? This really happened...

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!

I can't look at the pic of Drew and Jordan in the boat without laughing!

XD

DC said...

I knew you would find that funny. After I finished I kept looking at it and laughing hysterically. Jordan looks a little like a guest star on Little People Big World though.

Anonymous said...

love the pix, donna! keep up the good blogging...love, mom

Kris said...

I was actually on that show believe it or not. Now why am I on a Duluth blog? Oh I was looking for comments on the disallowed goal that I couldn't see from my seat at the game. By the way I was on the Railroad episode with the Tie Gang. Yes I am a big star

DC said...

You, sir, are my hero. I must roll out the red carpet for you.

Did I stick someone's head on your body???

This is amazing for me!!!!!! Bruce, you are no longer the biggest celebrity to grace this site!!!