11 October 2008

The Odd Couple

tUMD 5, Mildcats zip-a-di-doo-dah

It's been a few hours since the game and the ecstasy has not worn off. How glorious we were in victory tonight! Our offense was sublime, our power play got 2 goals, our penalty kill was perfection, the defence was divine, and the goaltending was simply SPECTACULAR.

Today has been a long day for me. I watched the sunrise in Duluth...
over the internet, that is. Every time I'm in Duluth I mean to get up early enough to watch the sunrise because it's really lovely. I have a vague memory from when I was very young and I was visiting my great-grandmother for the weekend, and I saw the sunrise from her house. Or maybe that was a dream.

Anyway, totally off the point here. I was on my own today after getting home from school. As the song goes, what good it sitting alone in a room? Life is a hockey game, old chum, life is a hockey game.

Wow, again, totally strayed from the subject. I am really tired. That is not the point. THE POINT IS THE GAME. AND ITS AMAZINGNESS. And how I decided to go over to MeanEgirl's to watch the game with her. Although I shouldn't say I watched my game with her. What actually occurred is that we both whipped out our laptops, plugged in our earphones, turned the muted TV to college football/the Wild game, and zoned in. Two minutes and seventeen seconds into the Bulldogs's game, I started screaming and shrieking and stomping as My Guy MacGregor Sharp went top shelf on Brian "The Flopper" Stewart. And yet, I was nervous. Then Tech scored a goal and MEg started her own scream/shriek/stomp routine and knocked her laptop over. That's really the only way we knew what was going on in each other's games. That and the USCHO game threads. I was hyperventilating during the 5x3 chances that NMU had. MEg was tearing up when she found out Geoff Kinrade had been injured. By the end of the game, she was sitting on the floor and I was on my hands and knees practically pounding the carpet. I imagine an eviction notice will be on the door by tomorrow. Folks, have you ever heard of two women with more dedication and zeal for their respective sports teams?

When the dust settled and the smoke cleared, Tech had prevailed over Lake State 3-2, and tUMD had shut out Northern. We avenged each other's loss/tie from the night before.

I'm so happy tonight. I'm happy our upperclassmen are leading and I'm happy our freshmen are making their collective presence known. I am beyond ecstatic that they were unsatisfied with their performance last night and made the adjustments. Those are some motivated guys. We've got more guys who want to play than there are spots available, and they know that if they give 99%, they'll make Sandelin's decisions that much easier. Like Herb Brooks said, ya know. I know that there have been some comments made about how our senior class could have looked, but I have no doubt that, though they started a few years ago with a few more guys, the ones remaining are tough, smart, scrappy, dedicated guys, who are going to step up and lead this team out of the darkness of the past few seasons.

Saddle up, folks. It's gonna be a wild ride; just try to hang on.

The Numbers
Wins until we equal last season's total: 9 (still non-conference)
Points until we equal last season's total: 23 (still ditto)

My Guys
MacGregor Sharp: 3! (And many chances for a hatty!)
Rob Bordson: 0 (Only a matter of time!)
Jack Connolly: 0 (Keeps getting sooo close! It's gonna happen!)
Michael Gergen: 0 (Back at it!)

Freshmen
Mike Connolly: 3!
Jack Connolly: 0
Scott Kishel: 0
Brady Lamb: 0
Travis Oleksuk: 0
David Grun: ###

On Notice:
NOBODY!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get cocky kid!

DC said...

I like to get ahead of myself.