11 October 2009

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's RWD!

Partial UMD hockey team 1, Disease-riddled Yoopers 3

Well, hello there. How are you? I am fine, thank you.













Not a great game. I wasn't there in person, which is good, because I would be driving right now and be tired and grouchy. However, I was hit with the double whammy of the Bulldogs and the Twins finding their respective games beyond their respective grasps almost simultaneously.

So, UMD was one injury away from jamming a jersey on top of Biddco's banana suit and shoving him out there to take a few shifts. Travis Oleksuk and Kyle Schmidt were both injured in the game against Lake Superior State, and Mike Connolly was still serving his suspension. This allowed both Wade Bergman and Jake Hendrickson to crack the lineup for the first time, and Scott Kishel had to take some shifts at forward. Kenny Reiter also started his first game for UMD, which is great for him! and had nothing to do with injuries or anything.

Now, no one was expecting this game to be pretty. However, I still thought UMD had the edge in the first period, as Northern turned over the puck practically as soon as they touched it. Then UMD had 3 straight power plays with nothing going on and I started to get worried.

The second period made me even MORE nervous because NMU scored and the way the game was going, a 1-0 score might have held up. My Jacky disagreed and roofed a shot 17 seconds after UMD had finished killing off a penalty. Justin Fontaine had the first assist and all-around hard worker Jake Hendrickson got the second assist, his first point as a Bulldog. Fabulous! Then with a little over a minute to go in the period, NMU scored again. Sadness.

And thus began what I shall refer to as Crazy Pepe's Chug 'n' Skate, which is the winter version of Crazy Pepe's Chug 'n' Toss, a game invented by my heroine Bat-Girl to describe Twins games that were... less than perfect. The parade to the penalty box had more participants than San Francisco Pride Week. The B2 feed didn't have the best angles, so I did not see My Sweet Jacky's penalty, but I can only assume it was COMPLETELY UNWARRANTED and an UTTER TRAVESTY.

Kenny had a great game, and I'm glad that he got to start. He made some insane saves. However, Kenny. Please. Stay in the net more. I was frightened at times. Thank you.

Best part about this game? (Duckies and bunnies! Duckies and bunnies!) All the valuable experience the freshmen got on the power play and penalty kill. They showed some real promise and will hopefully give us some depth off the bench.

MIKE CONNOLLY: please be a good boy from now on. You were sorely missed.

The Numbers
Wins until we reach last season's total: 10 (more noncon)
Points until we reach last season's total: 27 (more noncon)

My Guys
Jack Connolly: 4!!!!
Brady Lamb: 0
Mike Seidel: 0

Freshmen
Dylan Olsen: 1
Jake Hendrickson: 1! (Great job, Jake!)
Others: donut

Connollys
Jacky: 4
Mikey: 0 (suit and tie)

Olsen/Olson
Drew: 0
Dylan: 1

Drews
Olson: 4
Akins: 2

No comments: