03 February 2007

Plowed

Did you know that it sometimes snows in Denver? Because no one here is aware. Thus, they were completely unprepared for the snow that hit Thursday night just as we were rolling in from St. Louis. We saw 2 accidents before we had even picked up our rental car! Now, in Minnesota, the plows would have been out in full force, and we would have seen clear highways in a matter of hours. This is not the case in Denver. Not only did it take us two hours to drive the 24 miles from the airport to the Pepsi Center, but the roads were not even plowed when we left the game! Unacceptable. We also witnessed a plow driving WITH THE PLOW UP. What, was he on break? RWD Denver Correspondent suggested he may have been a union guy.

The Wild game was fabulous, although it seemed the Wild were desperate to give the game away to the Avs. It was back and forth for quite awhile, until the third when the Wild went ahead 4-3, and then capped it off with an empty-netter to seal the deal. Former WCHA players Paul Stastny and Jordan Leopold were both on the ice for the Avs. DHG and wife, Crazy Canuck and Momma Crazy Canuck, and Jones and wife were all in attendance, as well as Bruce Ciskie, P-Grass, and the Bulldogs themselves. Next time we are in Denver, I also hope to go to the all-you-can-eat Brazillian steakhouse and gorge myself on meat, meat, meat.

Friday was a different story. After inadvertently ditching Ciskie for lunch (and then ditching him again today, although that's not my fault, it's the booze taking control of my life), we showed up at famed DU hangout Spanky's at 4:00 sharp, the time we had agreed upon with the other PBers. They rolled in promptly at 5:00, so The Alleged Webmaster and I had to drink alone like losers for an hour. DU celebrities started showing up in droves, including Dubbie31 (decked out in Bears gear, ew), Veideman's parents, and of course, the man himself, DG. Let me tell you, the minute that man walked in the door, one of the employees yells "GODDARD!" Let's see if I remember those SAT analogies. DG : Spanky's :: Norm : Cheers? I think that's right. Trying to sabotage my blogging, the DU table sent over wave upon wave of this local microbrew. You may have heard of it: Coors? Anyway, there is a lovely picture of me with a Coors in one hand and a tall whiskey and coke in the other hand. But the feel-good story of the night goes to Momma Crazy Canuck, who drank the bar out of Southern Comfort. It may have been a Penalty Box first.

The game... well... I'm not so pleased with the game. VERY PLEASED with Mike Curry, of course, for helping Andrew Carroll get back off notice. Good things happen when you go hard to the net. Bad things happen when high school boys give me a scoreboard check. I informed the young man that he would never, ever, ever play for DU, so he doesn't really get any credit for the score. He also showed me his muscle for some reason I can't possibly fathom, because I never gestured to him to "come up and get some." I would never strike a child. The good thing is, we didn't get completely blown out. We were in the game, definitely had a chance to tie it up. The bad thing is, we didn't.

For ACTUAL REAL CONTENT, I would love to direct you to
Elliot Olshansky's totally awesome Rink Rat blog. I can't decide if his job is my dream job or worst nightmare. However, he is fabulous, a nice guy, and a much snazzier dresser than Bruce Ciskie could ever hope to be. He also has a photoset, including a picture of me looking totally bloated with booze. Crazy Canuck is next to me, and in the foreground is Momma Crazy Canuck, who was so excited for a photo op that she was reaching for her own camera rather than posing for Elliot's photo.

Well, I have to go eat some pizza before there's none left. LET'S GO 'DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Numbers

Points Until We Surpass Last Year's Total: 14
Wins Until We Surpass Last Year's Total: 6

My "Guys" Competition:
Matt Niskanen: 25!
Michael Gergen: 14
Mike Curry: 12! (Excellent!)
Matt McKnight: 6
Jason Garrison: 2 (Back for the NoDak series!!!)

Freshmen Competition:
Akins: 10!
Fulton: 8
Stalock: 4
Gorsalitz: 2
Palm: 1
C. Ryan: 1

On Notice (Semi-updated: No new additions):
Nick Kemp: GD 8
Mike Curry: GD 10
Drew Akins: GD 11
Trent Palm: GD 18 PD 18
Ryan Geris: GD 28 PD 18
Travis Gawryletz: GD 29 PD 10
Matt McKnight: GD 6
Matt Greer: GD 5 PD 5
Jeff McFarland: GD 4 PD 4
Josh Meyers: GD 4
Jay Cascalenda: GD 4 PD 4

No comments: