15 March 2006

Can't Hardly Wait

TOMORROW is the FINAL FIVE!!!!!!

Now, I always enjoy going to the best darn tournament in college hockey (Frozen Four be damned!), but this year is going to be way more special, since the 'Dogs will be there. Whatever they did to shake that monkey off their backs, I want to know. Where the heck was this team all season? Who cares, they peaked at the right time. It wouldn't have been so exciting if it hadn't been such a huge upset!

My memories of the WCHA tournament go back to the days the tournament was in the St. Paul Civic Center, Northern Michigan was still in the conference, and it was still the Final Four. The most memorable goal scored during that era was not on the ice, but rather at the World Trade Center Mall, where I won a Vikings water bottle for scoring on one of those cardboard "goalies" with a couple slots cut out in the bottom. It was a game-winner, for sure.

Two years ago, with the Bulldogs as a 2-seed, I was driving home from Illinois in a rented truck, speeding along at an average of about 90 mph (Dad, you can read that as 90 kph if you wish), trying to get to Wisconsin as fast as I could, to get in range of WCCO. The Bulldogs lost that game, 7-4, despite a stellar game from RWD favorite Evan Schwabe. The next day, vs. UAA, Junior Lessard got injured, and some LIAR who shall remain nameless tricked me into believing he was done for the season. The Bulldogs got revenge on the Gophers in the NCAA regionals (and I'm sure they would have traded us the WCHA playoff win for the Regionals win), Lessard won the Hobey, and the rest we got revenge for last weekend.

Last year, the 'Dogs were owned by UND in the first round of the playoffs, but I wore my 'Dogs jersey anyway. The bonus of last year was the lack of stress. I feel very stressed when the 'Dogs are playing, when they aren't playing, I don't really care what goes on, I can cheer for the teams I want to without worry (except worry of being jumped by the Gopher band.) The serious downside to last year was the Paukovich cheap shot that seriously injured UND forward Robbie Bina. That took a lot of the fun out of the entire weekend for me, as well as many other people.

This year, I'm looking forward to a little revenge on St. Cloud (Dan Kronick, 0 points this weekend!), a terrific game on Friday night, and Bulldog hockey on Saturday in some form. I don't ask for much, but if it isn't too much, a Mike Curry goal would be a beauty to behold.

6 comments:

Donald Dunlop said...

Tell your boys to get in front of Goatfart early and often. Do a good enough job of mucking it up in front of the crease and something will get in.

Be prepared for a very low scoring game I'd think. 1 goal could even be enough.

Bruce Ciskie said...

DTP is right. Traffic. Traffic. Traffic.

The Friday game against SCSU in January was against Goepfert (Montgomery played Saturday). The first goal was an Andrew Carroll Breakaway Special. The second was an effort goal.

SCSU has 3, 2, 1, 2, 0, 1, 2, 2, and 3 goals in their last nine games against teams not named "Michigan Tech".

It's going to be low-scoring. We have to knock their forwards down and keep them away from Ziggy, and take advantage of the chances against Goepfert, however few they may be.

DC said...

I can't believe Bruce Ciskie posted on my blog.

My main concern for the 'Dogs is taking quick shots. It seems to me that they are always taking their time making a shot, which makes it MUCH easier for a goalie to defend. I also agree with tPB when they say Curry should be down at the net messing with Goepfert and ready to jam one in. Not just because of our "personal" relationship, but because he is an agitator and we need Bobby G. off his game.

Donald Dunlop said...

I can't believe Bruce said I was right about something.

Now you're sending "pommies" my way?

Bruce Ciskie said...

DTP--

What's that old saying about blind squirrels and acorns?

Anyway, traffic wasn't the only problem last night. Our defensemen and forwards clearly had some jitters early on last night, and Nate couldn't bail them out with a big save.

Props to SCSU. They were definitely deserving of their victory last night.

RWD--

I'll post anywhere. You'll learn that about me.

DC said...

No wonder I heard you were posting on ILoveTransvestites.com... I thought that was a rumor!