07 December 2008

Postcards from RWD, Vol. 10: In With The New Edition

Dear Jeff Papas,

Hello, how are you? Did you have a nice trip back to Duluth?
All right. Enough with the pleasantries. Let's get down to business.

I know you're in kind of a difficult spot. Kind of like a scab, but not quite. But also, maybe some fans need to realize that even if you had not said yes to the job, Ciskie would still have been screwed out of a job.

I listened to you both nights this weekend because I wanted to give you a chance, and also because I really really really can't stand listening to opposing team's broadcasts. Especially when I'm watching B2 and can SEE the guy isn't describing what is actually OCCURRING on the ICE, and he can't even figure out the FIRST NAME of one of our PLAYERS. But whatever, not relevant.

You're not Bruce, and I know that, and you never will be Bruce, who we were all used to and enjoyed, but I don't think you suck. Friday night, I didn't hear your first period call because NO ONE FLIPPED THE SWITCH so I didn't get warpradio until like 1:30 was left in the period, and so I didn't know how things started off. Your interview with Scott Owens was pretty good and so was your interview with the Coach and with Akins, although I miss the more personal questions. I do not miss the video game chatter though. Bleah. Maybe things got a little boring then, and the first goal call was a little flat, but by overtime, you were really into the game and getting excited. Since I was watching the game, I could also tell that you were describing the action very well.

You remind me a bit of tWild's announcer, Bob Kurtz, which is not a bad thing. You're just a little different than we're used to, although not as different as some people think; there's definitely a sarcastic streak in you. Saturday was an easier game to call, as we scored goal after goal after goal and it was pretty easy to get into the game. You kind of lucked out. Did you know that in 2006 tUMD had only one win in the second half? That would have been a bad time to start broadcasting. It would have been like becoming a stockbroker on 28 October 1929.

Thanks for stepping in. I know that this is not the circumstances anyone would have wanted, and it's a tough position to be in, so I just wanted to take a moment to give you a little welcome.

Now, if only you actually read RWD...

Sincerely,
Runninwiththedogs

No comments: