30 October 2010

Hazing

tUMD 3, Those Yet to Win in Their New Arena, 2 (OT)

We won! Who cares if we sucked hardcore for long stretches at a time?
First let me address something. My dear friend Eric Stromgren (newly promoted to beat writer for the Bemidji Pioneer!!!) quoted Frank Tom Serratore in his weekend preview:
“We’ve been thrown to the wolves a little bit here and the thing is, it never gets any easier,” Bemidji State head coach Tom Serratore said. “After Minnesota-Duluth, we have St. Cloud State. Then after Anchorage it’s Denver. It’s a mental and physical challenge. You have to stay out of the box and play good on special teams.”
No, Frank Tom, that's not what happened. You didn't get thrown to the wolves, you joined the WCHA. You don't get 6 weeks of cupcake teams in between your challenging games anymore. Did you think you would open the season playing Mankato, Tech and... I don't know, yourselves??? (Oh wait, you did.) FYI, there are no weekends off in the WCHA. We in the peanut gallery weren't just telling ghost stories. Also, please try to speak using the correct pronouns. I do not need to stay out of the box nor do I need to play well on special teams. I am not on your team. (He's not the only culprit, I know; it's a freaking epidemic, but since I was already sniping at him for one thing, I figured I should pile it on.)
I liked watching the game on TV and while it wasn't in HD with tons of fancy bells and whistles like the Gopher broadcasts are, it was fine. Plus most of the filler crap on Gopher broadcasts is a gigantic waste of my time. I was at MEg's to watch the game so we had extended periods of time where we had the sound off so we could listen to the Michigan Tech game, so I can't comment on the broadcasters. Other PBers seemed to like them. Neither had toupees which I find unfortunate.
Guys, thanks so much for winning for my "birthday game." Even though it took you 64 minutes and 52.1 seconds to do so, and you almost gave the game away about 100 times, it still counts. (Travis Oleksuk is a god.) I ate about 500 slices of turkey bacon in your honour, and we had a toast with sparkling apple cider. I feel much more confident about driving up tomorrow, knowing that at least you won't be swept, you are the final unbeaten team in the WCHA, and you didn't let the rankings go to your heads and have a total meltdown like last year.

Numbers
Wins until we reach last season's total: 13! (Ugly wins count the same!)
Points until we reach last season's total: 27! (Sweet!)

My Guys
Jack Connolly: 11!!
JT Brown: 11!! (Look out, Jacky!)
Brady Lamb: 4
Mike Seidel: 2
Drew Olson: 0

Freshmen
JT Brown: 11!!!
Justin Faulk: 4!!!
others: zeros

Connollys
Mikey: 12!!!
Jacky: 11!!

Olsen/Olson
Dylan: 6!!! (Assisted on the GWG!)
Drew: 0

Dan/Drew
Olson: 8
DeLisle: 2

On Notice
Wade Bergman
David Grun
Jake Hendrickson
Brady Lamb
Mike Montgomery
Max Tardy

Goals Only
Jack Connolly (WHAT??? JACKY, GET IT TOGETHER!!!)
Justin Faulk
Keegan Flaherty
Dylan Olsen
Mike Seidel

1 comment:

marooned said...

My God. I miss the cupcakes already. This is going to be a rough season.