12 December 2009

Study Break

tUMD 2, Imperialist Oppressors 3

All right all right all right. Putting down my World Domination textbook to write this, even though game time is in 2 hours (edit: now 1 hour, as it took me a long time to write this) and I could totally just cheat and do one of my "weekend wraps" where I cover both games in one post. I'm hoping for a much better outcome.

I drove up to Duluth with my dad in one of those whirlwind up-and-back the same night trips. Fortunately I was in my seat BEFORE puck drop and introductions. Well, not really in MY seat. One of the benefits of having seats at the very top of my section is that no one wants to sit there. We ended up having a row to ourselves, or as I called it, a luxury row. So we moved into the middle and then we stood the whole game. I couldn't help it, I was very anxious and could not stand still.
The first period was very uneventful. tUMD had a power play chance early, which seems to happen a lot, and they did not capitalize, which also happens a lot. It wasn't that early, I guess, it was about 6 mins into the game, but I feel like those early PPs are such a missed opportunity. They're well-rested, the other team hasn't had a chance to get adjusted to their style, the goalie's not quite settled yet. Of course, 5 on 3 opportunities to tie up the game when the opponents are tired are also good chances to score. Or so it would seem.

DU got on the board in the second period thanks to junior forward Jesse Martin, who pretty much came out of nowhere for me this year. I'd never heard of him before! I think it's maybe because he has a boring name. I mean, it's easy to remember someone named Rhett Rakhshani. Well, also because he is very good. And extremely unattractive. But Jesse Martin seems about as plain vanilla as you can get and thus his emergence this year has surprised me. That goal was assisted on by one half of DU's power couple, William Wrenn (a LOT of people fell for that!!) and Anthony Maiainollyollyoxandfreeani. The DECC was as close to dead silent as 4437 (ha! Yeah right! That many people did not show up!) could be. I do not believe there was a single DU fan in the house.

I yelled at the Dogs that I didn't want to see any of that two goal lead crap, and caused this old man in front of me to visibly jump. Drew Akins scored on the Bulldogs' second power play opportunity. It was actually a power play I thought was going nowhere in a hurry, but they pumped it in with 22 seconds remaining. I didn't see what happened because there were a lot of folks in the way and it was at the other end of the rink from me.


I'd like to pause here for a public service announcement. Dear Bulldogs: when you go through your little celebratory fist pump line, it's supposed to go Goal Scorer, First Assist, Second Assist, Losers Who Didn't Get A Point. Not whoever gets there first.

Joe Colborne scored on a PP chance where he was literally a foot in front of Peanut Butter Hjelle and he roofed it. The puck went almost straight up. Guys. No need to let them in so close. That's classic Denver right there, and classic Colborne: right in front of the net, just hangin' around waiting for the puck. He's not untouchable, just give him a nice friendly hip check. He's tall, yes, but he's not very solid.

DU got that all-important 2 goal lead on a Kyle Ostrow PP goal, but tUMD answered fairly quickly with a neat goal. I can't really describe it because I'm just not good at that sort of thing, but Monkey was carrying the puck into the zone (IMAGINE THAT, IT ONLY TOOK TWO PERIODS OF HOCKEY TO FIGURE THAT OUT) and just plowed right through these DU guys and maintained possession of the puck and then something happened that I don't remember, either he shot the puck or passed it or lost it and MCON recovered it, but it was in the net! With half a period to go! Yes!

With about 7:25 to go in the game, DU took a penalty (a vicious elbow to the head that knocked a helmet off, which could easily have been a five minute major) and then another one, and then Chevy made this amazing save and then the wheels fell off the power play unit and flames blasted from my ears and nostrils.

It kind of looked like this, except without the beard, and replace DEFENSE with OFFENSE.













Once tUMD had the goalie pulled, things went crazy. Cheverie is a good goalie. There's no doubt about it. He made some great saves, and we needed to be perfect, but everything was just a little off, a little to the left or a little early or a little late or a little too far, and then the game was over. There was a sort of horsecrap call at the very end when DU had an obvious hand pass that was not blown dead, and then they iced the puck, and then there were only two seconds in the game instead of 10. Which is not THAT big of a deal but still, 10 seconds is time for a face-off win, a quick shot, and a rebound, and two seconds is not.


Oh well. Win tonight. DU will be without their star defenceman, Patrick Wiercioch, and we will be without Dylan Olsen, who did not have his best game last night. Best of luck to BOTH of them at the World Juniors camp, and I hope they represent college hockey well!

I don't know who's going to be in goal, but I do know Delisle Smash! is in for Hendo.

Numbers
Wins until we reach last season's total: 3 (Let's make that 2 tonight!)
Points until we reach last season's total: 12 (And bring that down to 10!)

My Guys
Jack Connolly: 23
Brady Lamb: 8
Mike Seidel: 7

Freshmen
Dylan Olsen: 9
Mike Seidel: 7
Keegan Flaherty: 2
Wade Bergman: 1
Dan Delisle: 1
Jake Hendrickson: 1
Drew Olson: 1

Connollys
Jacky: 23
Mikey: 16! (Only exclamation point in The Numbers, sadly)

Olsen/Olson
Drew: 1
Dylan: 9

Drews
Olson: 10
Akins: 15

On Notice
Cody Danberg
Dan Delisle
Keegan Flaherty
Chad Huttel
Scott Kishel
Brady Lamb
Drew Olson

Goals Only
Rob Bordson
Jordan Fulton
Dylan Olsen
Mike Seidel

No comments: