23 August 2007

Lazy and Surly

You know, just like the Teamsters.

While I am fairly certain all is not quiet on the Bulldog front, with school starting very soon and everything, my spy net hasn't caught a whole lot worth sharing. School is starting for ME in a very short period of time, and unfortunately that's going to frequently conflict with my quality time in front of my computer listening to Ciskie and flailing wildly in panic. The good news here is, that significantly decreases the chances I will stroke out during the season. This doesn't indicate a decrease in the quality of my BRILLIANT POSTING on this site, but rather a need for some serious creativity on those days when I'll be missing the broadcasts. (Did you know that with Replay Radio, you can listen to your program any time, day or night? BECAUSE I SURE KNEW THAT AFTER LAST SEASON. It is burned into my brain.)

If there are any other fellow Lazy and Surly Bulldog fans out there, please contact me about contributing to the site. There are many ways people can contribute to this site: photography, web design (ha!), game recaps, interviews, opinion pieces, modern art, historical articles, scouting reports, gourmet recipes, article ideas, epic poems written in iambic pentameter, publicity, hilarious Photoshop creations, gossip, or whatever you can dream up inside that head of yours. Please note that if you make a mistake in your spelling or grammar, I will warn you once by chopping off your hand, but the second time, I will be forced to kill you. This site has high standards.

I'm fairly certain no one's interested in stepping up to the plate, but I just thought I'd throw that out into the ether and see what happened.

And now, for a Major Concern. The UMD Hockey site ran a blurb on Fearless Leader Matt McKnight recently, mostly discussing his election as captain for the second year in a row. That's not the concern. HERE is the concern:

McKnight will enter his farewell collegiate season ranking first among current Bulldogs in career scoring (53 points) and games played (99). Last winter, the Halkirk, Alberta native was hobbled for nearly a quarter of the season with an arm injury, and wound [up] mustering just nine points (four goals and five assists) in 29 outings.

Okay. I knew things were bad, but good lord. Our top returning scorer is a guy who was injured for a good portion of the season last year? Is anyone else a little scared? Of course, I know that there are more than a few guys on the team that are capable of so much more than they achieved last year, points-wise, we're bringing in some great new freshmen, and Mike Curry will continue his ascent toward Scoring Animal, so I have that to look forward to. I also know that in years past we have returned some high-scoring talent and seen the team underperform BIG TIME, so one can hardly project numbers for one season using the numbers from the previous season.

Let's fall back on a platitude here. Time will tell. Coach says we're gonna finish in the top five. College Hockey News says we'll be in the bottom five. Someone's gotta be right.

Just... hurry up, hockey. I'm sick of waiting.

17 comments:

LetsGoMavs said...

You think that YOU'RE sick of waiting?!?! I have to wait until the 2nd week in November to see the Mavs play:(

I actually went to the SCSU website today to see if they have any good games before that because I don't know that I can wait that long for hockey. Now, THAT is despration!! Of course, they only have one game I would have been interested in...against UMD...in Duluth. Ugg.

DC said...

I have to wait until the THIRD WEEK in November.

You have no excuse! Don't you live in Kato?

Chris said...

Sorry, but when it comes to epic poety, it's dactylic or nothing for me.

LetsGoMavs said...

Yes, I live in Kato. I thought about going to a Gopher game before the Mavs start, but tickets are always harder to come by and more expensive. I figured that if SCSU had something good, WT would want to go.

Ugg. Guess I have to wait.

LetsGoMavs said...

Are you actually going to make the trip to Kato when the Dogs are in town? WT will be at the Saturday night game for sure.

It's about time you get your butt to Kato for the game and to have some adult beverages with us.

DC said...

I would like to, but I have school AND work that weekend, which means I won't even get to hear tDogs on the radio.

It would be a lot easier if we played in Kato in January or February. I am unable to request time off from work in December.

I need to visit Mankato in the near future. Not just for the hockey, but to check up on all the relatives.

Anonymous said...

WHOA! LGM is getting desperate if she wants to go to a game at SCSU that the MAVS aren't even playing in!! SCARY! Are you okay LGM?

RWD, I really wish you could come down to Kato for the UMD game. Then I wouldn't be the only crazy chick cheering for the Dogs!!

Donald Dunlop said...

I'm posting a comment just to offset the overabundance of estrogen in here.

DC said...

When can you ever say that in relation to college hockey?

I mean, except for at women's hockey games.

LetsGoMavs said...

I'm not so sure there's that much estrogen even at the women's games...oops! Did I say that?!!? :) Kidding.

Are you going to go up to UMD for the Mav/Dogs game? I think I'm going to make the trip and I'll probably drag WT with me.

DC said...

I'm glad you said it, because I meant to, but didn't want to double-comment.

When is the game?

LetsGoMavs said...

Jan 11th and 12th, 2008

Anonymous said...

Donald only made that one comment and then gave up? The estrogen must have been too much. LGM, you echoed the very first thing that came to my mind after I read the women's hockey comment! :) I always think I'd have played hockey if it was available when I was young, but in reality, I'm probably too big a wimp to play with those ... chicks??

RWD, you should try to make it up there if we go, so we can hang out!! Will life be better than at work, since it's after Christmas??

DC said...

Sorry, no, I've got school that weekend.

Eric J. Burton said...

Way too much estrogen.

Donald Dunlop said...

Donald almost never posts anything anywhere on the Internet without anticipating a particular response. In other words I try to always be one step ahead ...

I made the Estrogen comment expecting a specific response that never came ... sigh.

If the response I was looking for had emerged then hilarity on an unimaginable scale would have follwed.

DC said...

I'm curious what that comment was.

That happened to me multiple times, during my The Gauntlet with FHG. I kept setting him up, and he kept throwing gutter balls.